Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Metro Chronicles

Yesterday around 2:45 in the afternoon an orange line train derailed and the poor passengers were stuck in the tunnel (I'm assuming since it was at Courthouse) without AC or lights for more than 30 minutes. Did I mention it has been 96 here with a heat index of more than 105? Oh that's right, just a minor painful detail.

Well, when i found out about this "red flag" situation I immediately jumped on calling people I know and trying to figure out how to get home without taking Metro - or the orange line at least. My cousin was driving home to NY, a nother friend was still in school so I was thinking about going to pentagon City for a little while and have dinner until brad could pick me up once traffic died down some. What about the bus?? Well, the fact that I would have to take four buses made that option the last for me.

Wait a minute - someone at my company lives in Annandale, the town next to Falls Church!! He saved the day! Riding home with him was initially a last resort because I felt bad about him going out of his way, but he reassured me it was no problem. I am writing a thank you note and will probably buy like a $10 gas card just to say gracias.

The Metro problem was not cleared until 12:41am according to the fourteen Metro e-mail alerts I received since I left work at 4:30pm so I sure am glad I hitched a ride! Last Tuesday when we had the major thunderstorms and all the trees fell, power was out, etc it took me three hours to get home because one stoplight was out on the train track so everyone had to get off and then board a bus to get back on the metro after that one stop.

For the record - I am not confident about DC's emergency evacuation plan if it ever needed to be put into place - you might as well get to georgetown and swim across the river and hitch-hike with someone who is already on the Parkway......

No comments: