Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Double Cranberry-Apple Sauce

On Nov. 13, 2009 we moved into our new home. Thirteen days later we hosted Thanksgiving for nine adults. Talk about getting thrown into it?! No, we volunteered, but there certainly was alot going on. I am very organized when it comes to planning holidays in advance so I had my menu picked out as soon as we had approval to move-in which meant our families would be coming to our place to celebrate Thanksgiving.

One of the recipes I came across was this double cranberry-apple sauce from Southern Living's November 2003 issue. I wanted to do something different than the typical cranberry sauce so I tried this out and have made it for a few holidays since. I also freeze extra and serve it with chicken or eat it on its own throughout the year.

Ingredients for 5 cups of sauce (I've found it makes more):
6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1 (12 oz) package of fresh cranberries
1 small lemon, sliced and seeded
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries (like Craisins)

In a large saucepan (I use a big spaghetti pot), stir together the first 5 ingredients over medium-high heat until it starts to boil. Continue to stir it often.



Reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes until cranberries pop (seen below) and mixture starts to thicken.


Remove the pan from heat and stir in the sweetened, dried cranberries. Allow time to cool and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.


Another wonderful thing about this recipe??? You can store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks!



Today's Creative Blog, Try it Tuesday, Mad Skills Party, We Did it Wednesday, Hookin Up with HoH,

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Looks so yummy!!! I will definantly have to give this a try! Thank you so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday at Dot Dot Dot! Made my Day!
Thanks!
Tasha
P.s. I am your newest follower!!