Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summertime Locavore {sort of}

Summertime is here which means one of my favorite things is happening: farmers markets! We have our own garden, but all of the farmers markets are a few weeks ahead of us when it comes to having vegetables ready so I am shopping there for now. I consider myself a summertime locavore. I do realize that all-year "true" locavores would be disappointed in me since I only buy local beef (from a family member's farm) and produce, but you have to start somewhere right?!

Two weeks ago week we ate our first plain tomato. We simply washed it, sliced it and ate it plain and to the delight of my taste buds, it was incredible. The tomato came from an orchard less than one mile away (very lucky for me).

So, reap what you sow (if you have a garden of your own)! We have been eating all homegrown lettuce from our garden for a couple weeks now. The flavor is unlike anything I've ever tasted, but don't come to our house if you don't like lettuce that packs a punch.


We're actually going to plant more in place of our onions, which are very strong and pungent as onions should be, so we can have lettuce longer through the summertime.


I have been picking and shelling peas everyday and sometimes we put them in hot water for a short time to soften them up or we put them raw into our salads.



The cucumbers are ready too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great picuters!

New blog follower! Come follow back and enter my great giveaways! http://www.peacelovepoop.com

Ann Kroeker said...

Oh, I am so hungry now...all that freshness.

Makes me want to ride my bike to the Farmer's Market in the morning!

Thanks for linking this loveliness to Food on Fridays!

Cheerful said...

we like plain tomato...and lucky you because you have your own garden! everything sounds fresh and pictures looks great! have a great weekend! :)