Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Grilled Cheese with Strawberries {recipe}

As strawberry season continues in Maryland, I find that William and I are at a nearby farm picking at least once a week. The first time we went he did actually pick…and bite and put into our box…regardless of being slightly under the weather.

The second time we went to a different patch on the same farm and they had just lined the rows with straw so he was running up and down the rows the whole time. Since strawberry plants are short and I could see him, I just kept picking and let him run wild. Let's be honest, it was easier too. I only had my video camera the second time so no photos to share.

I found myself thinking what to do with all our fresh, juicy strawberries besides eat them whole, add to ice cream and lemonade and freeze for a cool treat. I found a great recipe from Southern Living (no surprise I liked it!) For a Goat Cheese and Strawberry Grilled Cheese sandwich.


If you take a look at the recipe, it calls for seven ingredients. I omitted the salt/pepper, pepper jelly, and basil since I didn't have any in the garden. I also substituted spinach for arugula since we had that growing outside. The flavor of my sandwich was absolutely wonderful and I'm sure it tastes great with basil and arugula since they are both such strong flavors. Then again, I think my version with bread, spinach, strawberries and goat cheese was a wonderful balance of the rich cheese and sweet berries.

Please share your favorite strawberry dish!

2 comments:

Carole said...

thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Have a lovely week.

Unknown said...

Hmmm looks good. I'll have to try that some time