Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A history of veterans in my life

I have several family members and close friends who are veterans. I thought I'd take today to show you pictures of them (if I have them readily available) and tell you a little bit about them.

On my mom's side of the family, it all started with my great grandfather who used to teach me how to tap dance, Dr. Morris Fox. To be honest, I don't know much about his time in the service, but could tell you all about his post-service adventures.

His son, my grandfather, Dr. Edgar Fox was an optometrist with the U.S. Air Force.



My grandfather's son, my Uncle Mark, served in the military as well.


His oldest son, my cousin Gideon served in the U.S. Army.


On my dad's side, his father, my grandfather, Michael Campbell was in the Army and was actually shot in the hand during the Battle of the Bulge while operating a tank. He received a Purple Heart.

My cousin, okay, second cousin if you want to be technical, Christopher Scherer was in the U.S. Marines and was sadly KIA in July 2007. His family has organized wonderful fundraisers and activities that anyone can support through the Corporal Chris Semper Fi Fund which is all about helping others in need.


My brother-in-law, Justin, just finished his time in the military and continues to work at Ft. Meade in Maryland. He has completed several tours of duty including one to Africa soon after he met my sister-in-law.


Eric, is one of my best friends' husbands and he is currently overseas in Kuwait. Eric is part of the Florida National Guard and was one of the soldiers deployed in the largest Florida National Guard group in many, many years. We are happy he is coming home to his wife and two young daughters before Christmas.



My friend Jim is someone I met in college and is also stationed overseas at this time. He was always a shoulder to lean on while still being the life of the party. He is very passionate about his service, as are all of the men I know and I hope he comes home safely.


The bottom line is if it weren't for men like these, we wouldn't be enjoying the lives we have. I am appreciative and grateful for them and the sacrifices they have made and continue to make.


No comments: