Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas in Our Home

I realized that although I started to decorate for Christmas right before Thanksgiving, I had not posted any photos nor have we had guests over each weekend to enjoy the holiday decorations like we did last year. My husband has encouraged me to invite friends over, but things are a little out of sorts right now with my decreased energy levels and inability to do everything on my own like I was used to because I liked it that way (Please note: This has nothing to do with the helpfulness and resourcefulness of my husband. He'd do everything for me if I'd let him!).

Here is a holiday tour of our home this year starting with the front door. My mom made this wreath for us in 2007 when we were renting our first home. She bought a plain wreath and added the colored embellishments. There is a holly and sprig of gifts/balls for each color.


When you walk through our front door we have an open foyer where this handmade refinished table sits. This cute little Santa is a new purchase this year (Black Friday deal at Michael's) and so is the candy bowl (Homegoods). I also have a beautiful musical ornament on this table from a dear friend.


Our staircase is an L-shape so on the platform we have a small tree, a 2009 gift from my mom. The tree came with lights and some red berries, but once again, she got creative and purchased white sparkled poinsettias and some gold "berries and leaves" to customize it. Here is what it looks like in the day and at night.

  
In our kitchen I put out a few seasonal items including this cute marshmallow-roasting snowman, a frame, some holiday napkins and candles.



Our dining room table was the first thing that was decorated. I'm going to do another post on that, so here is a wider shot of our dining room. The garland around our double windows was also a Black Friday purchase at Michael's. It is two separate pieces and s really pretty up close with some pine cones and "snow" on the ends of the needles.


Christmas cards - I love them! It seems that people are a little later this year than in the past, but that means we are averaging more than five per day which is always exciting! We always look at the return address first and "split-up" who gets to open them. That way we both get to enjoy it. This year I did something easier and more traditional than last year - trim the doorframe. I am putting all photo cards on the dining room side and all traditional cards on the living room side. That way we can enjoy them from both rooms! Here is a close-up of some of the cards.

Then of course is our beautiful Christmas tree from Gaver Tree Farm in Mt. Airy, Maryland. This year we went with a Canaan Fir and the shape and size is perfect for us! I bought more lights (Black Friday at Lowe's) so there are 400 white lights this year and I also used new 2.5" red sparkly ribbon (Black Friday at Michael's). We bought our knitted tree skirt and angel in 2006 for our first Christmas together.



And of course, under the tree the gifts have been growing! I shared my gift wrap plan for the year last month and am happy with the way everything is looking. Even the cat likes it!





I hope you have had fun decorating and enjoying your home during the holidays!!


2 comments:

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

thanks for the tour! i liked that you used craft paper to wrap...it looks so classy.

if you have a moment, link up to my creative juice party!

nicolette @
http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2010/12/creative-juice-thursday-3.html

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

So glad you linked up! Enjoy your pretty home this holiday...

:)
nicolette