Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reverse Caramel Apples

Happy December!! I thought I'd start off the month with an easy recipe that is a great way to spruce up dessert!

On Saturday we had two good friends over for the evening and to watch the Clemson-USC football game (no I do not want to discuss the results). I always take advantage of having additional guests at our home to try new recipes that I wouldn't necessarily do on a "normal" night since we don't get home from work until 7 p.m. This time I opted for dessert when I saw this post from Random Thoughts of a SuperMom. I did modify it to make it easier and use a different ingredient. For the record, you will notice that some of my posts coming up are not my original ideas, which is why I link back to the owner...I have no qualms about admitting that I got the idea from them!

I started with four apples (3 granny smith and one leftover from the orchard down the road). I cut off the tops of each apple and then cored it using a knife and grapefruit spoon with the "spikes" on the end. I could not find caramel chips for the life of me, so instead I bought bits of Heath Bar which I suppose technically made them toffe apples, not caramel apples. I also bought a small bag of already crushed nuts, like the kind for ice cream sundaes, so I didn't have to crush up anything.


I combined some toffee bits and nuts in a bowl and then filled up the cored apples. I spooned a dollop of butter on top of each and put in the oven for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. I bought vanilla ice cream (so that means we have four types of ice cream in our freezer...blame it on my pregnancy) which was delicious on top.



Hope you enjoy!









   
 


Whatever Goes Wednesday, Blue Cricket Design, What's Cooking Wednesday, Somewhat Simple, Rock Your Recipes, Tatertots & Jello

8 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

wow, that looks good! think i'm gonna have to try this!

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

Kelli W said...

Yummy! Yours looks so good with the ice cream on top! We didn't have ice cream when I made them, so I may have to try them again and make sure to have some vanilla in the freezer:)

Courtney @ {not so homemade} said...

Mmmm! These look delicious! I have some apples that need cooking too...

I'd love for you to link this up to What's Cooking Wednesday!

http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/2010/12/tex-mex-lasagna-whats-cooking-wednesday.html

Cheri said...

Oh yumm....I'm saving this one to make soon! Thanks!

Karissa Jade Ferguson said...

Thanks for sharing this! So simple and yummy looking :)

Courtney @ {not so homemade} said...

Thanks so much for sharing at What's Cooking Wednesday. Be sure to stop by and link up more great recipes!

http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/2010/12/chili-for-chilly-night-128-whats.html

Julie said...

I started drooling when I saw this... I may have to break down over Christmas, say forget the diet and try this because it looks delish!

Unknown said...

::Drool:: Oh man. I want those like, right NOW