Pin it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Scallops with Tomato & Papaya

I cooked this recipe a month or so ago right after I purchased a papaya at Costco because William loves melon. The recipe comes from the March 2011 issue of Ladies Home Journal, one of the magazines I subscribe to.

Ingredients:
4T canola oil
12 medium scallops
1T minced garlic
1T cumin seeds
1/2t Spanish paprika
1/2t ground coriander (I did not use them)
1t kosher salt
1c cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium ripe papaya, cut into bite size pieces

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops and sear, about 2 minutes per side. Remove scallops and set aside.

Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Add cumin seeds, paprika, coriander and salt and cook for 5 seconds (release the scent).


Stir in the tomatoes until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the papaya and cook for 3 more minutes.


Add the scallops to the sauce in the skillet, stirring gently to coat. Serve over rice.


Review: This recipe was great (if it wasn't I wouldn't take the time to share it with you!). The recipe came from Bal Arneson, who is apparently known as the "Spice Goddess" on The Cooking Channel. It tasted a little bit like Indian food and probably would have tasted different if I used the coriander, but it is pricey and I never took with it. I can't wait to serve it to guests since my husband and I liked it so much! 

Let me know if you have recipes that use scallops, because I'd like to cook with them more.

No comments: